P.E & Sport Premium
In March 2013 the government announced that it was to provide funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013-2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (P.E.) and sport in primary schools in England - the Primary P.E. & Sport Premium. The funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
On 6th February 2014 the Prime Minister, David Cameron, committed to continue the funding until 2020.
Purpose of funding:
Schools must spend the funding on improving their provision for P.E. and sport.
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
For 2015-2016 our allocated Sport Premium was £8,840. We are using the funding to improve the quality of P.E. and Sport provision at Our Lady of Victories in the following ways:
- Hiring professional sports coaches to teach the children different sports during curriculum time and during after-school clubs.
- Procuring quality assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching P.E. and sport through the Active Wandsworth Initiative.
- Providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in P.E. and sport.
- Supporting regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages.
- Entering children into different leagues and competitions organised by the Putney Primary Schools Sports Association (PPSSA ) or Wandsworth Sports Development.
- Purchasing new equipment for the school so that the children can develop their skills further in P.E. lessons.
- Purchasing new equipment for use in after-school clubs to improve the diversity of clubs available, such as crash mats, spring board and ribbons for gymnastics.
- Purchasing more sports equipment for use during playtimes, such as basketball hoops and goal posts
- Purchasing a rigorous scheme of monitoring and assessment for swimming to ensure National Curriculum Targets are reached. This will include badges or certificates.
- Supporting parents by covering additional costs (for swimming lessons and coaches) to ensure ALL children have access to a wider range of sporting/P.E opportunities.